W-E-L-C-O-M-E to my little corner of the planet. Take a seat, get comfy. You're among friends, so please feel free to comment. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my ramblings. Be sure to scroll all the way down to get the daily puppy ~ they're so cute!



Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holiday shopping etiquette

Where is it written that when the frenzy of the holiday season is underway, that it's OK to be rude, pushy, and generally undesirable in a shopping environment?  It's supposed to be a time of year for coming together.  You know...peace on earth, good will toward men and all that jazz.  Where is the peace and good will? It has been scarce in my neck of the woods, that's for sure.  Out shopping yesterday, I encountered people blocking store isles without any regard for the backed up traffic behind them.  This is a normal occurrence in a shopping situation; however at this time of year with so many people out and about at the same time, it becomes even more frustrating.  Then there were those grabbing for the same items at the same time and being, well...just grabby!  It was rude and discouraging to encounter such inconsideration.  I remarked to the cashier that they need store police to keep people moving and give out citations for habitual offenders.  Like, the ones who drive their cart on the left side.  This isn't Europe, we drive to the right and all traffic whether it be by vehicle, on foot, or store cart, is always to the right! I don't understand why people don't get that concept.  When they drive their car to the store they drove on the right, of this I’m certain or there would have been many accidents on the streets along the way of people driving on the wrong side.  But when they get in the store...there are some poor unfortunate souls with some brain cells that just don't kick in when it comes to store cart navigation.  Please be kind.  Not just at Christmas, but all year.  It doesn't take any more effort.  It's simply a matter of attitude adjustment toward other people.  How would you want to be treated? That's how I try to see things and live accordingly. 

That ends my holiday frenzy rant.  Against my better judgment, I do have some more shopping to do.  I'm a last minute kind of person (I can't live without the aggravation) so I'm going to venture out again today to finish up my holiday shopping. I will be courteous and smiling through it all, I hope you will too.  Peace on earth, good will toward all.  

**********

Some Christmas trivia for you:

Alabama was the first state to recognize Christmas as an official holiday in 1836.  The last state to declare Christmas as an official holiday was Oklahoma in 1907.

Animal Crackers are not really crackers, but cookies that were imported to the United States from England in the late 1800s. Barnum's circus-like boxes were designed with a string handle so that they could be hung on a Christmas tree.

Christmas trees are edible. Many parts of pines, spruces, and firs can be eaten. The needles are a good source of vitamin C. Pine nuts, or pine cones, are also a good source of nutrition.

Hug somebody today! My sweet grandson will be here this evening to spend the holiday week with me and he will get lots of gramma hugs!  

Peacefully yours,
~ K

No comments:

Post a Comment