W-E-L-C-O-M-E to my little corner of the planet. Take a seat, get comfy. You're among friends, so please feel free to comment. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my ramblings. Be sure to scroll all the way down to get the daily puppy ~ they're so cute!



Sunday, April 15, 2012

"More Than Words"



My fondness for combining music with prose is well known.  After all, music is prose. Lyrics organized with music in an expressive fashion. It's soothing and calming.  I admire those talented enough to put both words and instruments together. For now, I'll stick with just the words :)

 
Lines I wish I'd written:

"Once upon a midnight dreary, which I pondered, weak and weary" ~ Poe, "The Raven"

"I remember him as if it were yesterday, as he came plodding to the inn door, his sea-chest following behind him in a hand-barrow—a tall, strong, heavy, nut-brown man, his tarry pigtail falling over the shoulder of his soiled blue coat, his hands ragged and scarred, with black, broken nails, and the sabre cut across one cheek, a dirty, livid white." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson ~ "Treasure Island"  (I love long sentences!)

"The owner was a small nervous guy and he backed away into the point of the triangle and was standing with his backside against the cash drawer" ~ Lee Child, "Running Blind"

Poe is notorious for his epic prose, much of it dark just like his most notable "The Raven". Stevenson's "Treasure Island" is a staple in classic novel history.  Lee Child is a modern day rambler after my own heart. I love how he gives such eloquent description to set up the scene, yet with words that are easily used in everyday life.  No dictionary required.

"Death is life's stop sign"
"A few cops and media looking at KC like it was a hot day and she was a cold beer"
"Brackett had a hedgerow of gray hair that stood as erect as a regimen of eager recruits"

The above are just a few examples of some great writing by David Bishop in his novel, "The Beholder". David is skilled at painting a picture with words. I'm envious of those writers who can give the reader a vivid image with few words, as Poe, and also of those who write protracted, comma filled sentences that fills the mind with an unforgettable image, as in Stevenson. David Bishop does a little bit of both while conjuring up a plot that is edgy, the characters memorable, in a story which takes some macabre twists that will keep you turning the pages.  This is one of my highly recommended reads of 2012.  Get yours at Amazon and you can also visit David at his Facebook page to get to know more about a male author who so succinctly writes a female character, which I find is a most fascinating talent.  He also looks pretty normal for someone who writes such chillingly gruesome details of grisly murders.

***

Giving It All Away

Why do authors give away their books on Amazon? We don't make any money on those that we offer for free, that's why they're usually for a short period of time, one day or possibly a weekend.  Through Amazon's KDP Select program, authors do get paid for those books borrowed through the KDP Select program, but on the day(s) we have a free day, we don't get paid for that, so why do it? Well... each download, whether on a free day or if the book is borrowed under the KDP Select program, or purchased at the e-book price, is tallied and the more downloads the book gets, it moves it up in the Amazon best sellers rank. What that does is, moves the book up on Amazons pages and is added to the 'items other customers buy' category, which all leads to more readers and more sales.  So, in the spirit of moving up in the Amazon listings, I'm offering "Random Encounters" free next weekend on Sunday, April 22. I'll give a little reminder before then so everybody can get their copy of a steamy, sensuous yet touching, romantic story of a woman finding her place in a most unusual fashion. 

Meantime, if you could visit my Amazon pages  and click on the "like" button for both "Random Encounters" and "Bright Lights, Money & Show Biz, Honey" I would be much appreciative.  It will help move the books up in the rankings.  If you are moved to download and read, that would be awesome too! :-D

***

The Lhasa got me up at 6:00 AM on a Sunday to go outside.  He's now comfortably snoring on his blankie and here I am wide awake.  Guess I'll be productive and get chores done early.  That'll leave me some time to get the baseball game in  (Mariners are playing .500 ball!) then later get something cozy from the Keurig and curl up with some great reading. What are you doing today? Whatever it is, hug everybody! I will and am sending virtual hugs to you all as well. 

Relaxingly yours,

~ K

3 comments:

  1. I'm an old hippie, so I love that crap. Love David Bishop too. Thanks for the great article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for stopping by! I love old hippies :-) After all, I'm one myself. Thank you for your kind words as well, that makes my day :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathleen, for offering your book free next weekend (and I will try to remember and snag it.) I'm offering my book at Smashwords, free today and tomorrow. You'll need to visit my blog to get the coupon number. I promise you, it is a good read, and I ask you, please consider writing a review? I will do the same for yours.
    http://terrysthoughtsandthreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete