W-E-L-C-O-M-E to my little corner of the planet. Take a seat, get comfy. You're among friends, so please feel free to comment. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my ramblings. Be sure to scroll all the way down to get the daily puppy ~ they're so cute!



Sunday, July 8, 2012

The selling of one's soul, or...why I self publish

I don't write a lot here anymore about the writing and the publishing process.  This blog has evolved into more of a stream of consciousness campfire, and I'm comfortable with that.  I no longer feel the need to write here.  Rather, I want to.  It's a communication to the blogosphere that is my small contribution, and hopefully prompts pause for reflection, and...lots of hugs! I'm amazed at how many people I meet for the first time who seem surprised that everyone really does get hugs from me!

Oh, yes...back on topic. Writing and inspiration. Probably the most frequent question I get is why I self-published, especially for "Random Encounters".  I've been told more than once, or twice, that it's a quality story and should be shopped to a publisher.  I understand the question, it's a great story.  Alternatively, "Bright Lights" is more of a fun project created to pay tribute to musicians whom I love so much.  I did spend an extraordinary amount of time shopping "RE" to anyone and everyone who would read my query and sample chapters.  The offers I received for publishing it ranged from exclusives at internet reading sites, which I'm not opposed to, to some small publishers that didn't have a budget for promotion, so that part of the contract would still have fallen on my shoulders.  A lot of work that I have already done on my own, pretty much for free and expending my own energy.  The only thing that would have changed would be instead of it being my own production, it would have a publishers name on it and I'd get a small (miniscule) advance.  I'd still be working heavily on promotion, and probably a lot more than I've been doing on my own, mostly due to some health issues holding me back most recently.  After careful consideration, I weighed the pro's and con's and decided I didn't need a publishing company name that much. I'd give up the rights to the book, it would be exclusive to one publishing outlet who had complete control over sales, profits, and where and when it could be read.  I considered it 'selling my soul' and for very little in return. I decided to keep my dignity.  Which is not to say that should the right offer come along, I would be opposed to it. I'm open :-D  I'm beginning to believe the veterans of this business who insist one needs an agent, are right. Sometimes, it takes striking out a few times before you get the swing of the game, so to speak ;-)

On soul selling, I like to tell a story about an amazingly talented musician I know.  He was about 18 years old when he really came into his musical genius and wanted to play music for the world to enjoy.  He made rounds at the usual outlets of Hollywood where up and coming bands like a very young Guns n' Roses, Motley Crue, Faster Pussycat, Dangerous Toys, and the like were playing at the time.  The '80's music scene was exploding.  He played with his band and some other random musicians whenever he got the chance and found that the mainstream music business was seriously lacking a character trait that completely turned him away from becoming a professional musician. When it came to negotiating a recording contract, he decided he could not sell his soul in order to play on stage in big arenas.  It was too big a sacrifice of his self worth.  Instead, he got an education in electronics and now plays music for himself, family, and some close friends who have discovered how talented he is. He even created his own recording studio and made a CD of his music.  That young 18 year old who was so wise so long ago is my son who is now all grown up with a son of his own and never regretted keeping his soul and his self worth.  I've always been very proud of him.  The story sound familiar? Jack Hamilton has many fine qualities of that young man I know so well.  You can find Jack's story in "Bright Lights, Money & Show Biz, Honey".

I often find true inspiration from people or events in my life.  I prefer organic means of creating as opposed to something plastic, or manufactured. Organic seems more natural, doesn't it? I'm growing my own tomatoes, green onions and some pole beans out back, organically of course, and the vibrant colors of my petunias, roses, and flowering ground cover are thriving organically.  It stands to reason the living breathing beings we are flourish organically as well.  Don't you love how I start out with one subject and end up with another that is completely a whole 'nother thought? Yeah, me too :-D

BTW...I gave my website an updated, upbeat makeover.  I hope you'll pay a visit there

What's in your garden?  It's not too late to grow some beautiful inspiration for your summer.  Give everyone you know some good old fashioned organic hugs! It'll bring smiles all around.

Organically yours,

*Hugs* ~ K

No comments:

Post a Comment