W-E-L-C-O-M-E to my little corner of the planet. Take a seat, get comfy. You're among friends, so please feel free to comment. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my ramblings. Be sure to scroll all the way down to get the daily puppy ~ they're so cute!



Saturday, October 29, 2011

A voice, a brand, and a song

What do all of the above have in common? They are used to describe an author.  Authors develop their own voice over time.  I could pick up a Lee Child novel without seeing the authors name or characters name and know it is his writing.  He has his own unique style, known as the authors voice.  A brand for a writer is much the same as a brand name product, like A-1, Amazon, Orville Redenbacher.  Just with those names alone we know what the product is.  It's the same for authors.  We develop our brand name individually by how we market our art.  Think of:  Walt, Stephen, Ernest, Edgar. Those are all names of writers immediately recognizable by branding themselves in the business. Personality lends to the branding, and for me a song is my own individual signature. Music is a major part of my personality.  A song for me has to go along with everything. Music is so inspirational to me.  My twisted, manic brain relates better to music than almost any other medium, including the written word.  I get more out of listening to the song being played than reading the words to the song without any instruments along with it.  There's a connection between my brain and music that clicks and is compatible like nothing else.  Want to steal my heart? Give me music! I like books a lot, too, but music is the quickest way to melt my normally crusty, curmudgeon exterior. 

Although I feel I have the necessary elements above, I sometimes feel I haven't paid my author dues.  I haven't even one suicide attempt, my self esteem is higher than the national debt, and don't have any flaky friends in need of artistic support because they, too, are starving artists.  I'm fairly normal by the publishing world's standards.  I have considered all of the above may have played a role in the piles of rejection letters I've amassed.  Although, I do feel some sort of validation that I at least received a rejection.  Far more queries have been submitted for consideration that simply went straight to the rubbish bin without any response whatsoever.  Which, I originally thought incredibly rude. Then, I got deeper within the writing world to find that more rejections are done anonymously than are acknowledged with a bonafide rejection letter.  I almost feel privileged now to get that rejection form letter.  Doesn't have the title of my manuscript or my name addressed in the greeting, it's just a form letter in an e-mail that says my project just doesn't fit their agency/publishing house at this time, blah, blah, blah...all offered with the enthusiasm of a middle of dinner telemarketing call.  As aforementioned, I am stubborn, obstinate and willful.  I shall persevere!  But, I won't be so rushed to do it anymore. 
******

More useless information:

"Weird" Al Yankovic received a Bachelor's degree in Architecture in 1981.  He also served as valedictorian of his high school at age 16.

The oldest business in the United States of America is the cymbal company Zildjian which was founded in Constantinople in 1623.

Marijuana was not illegal in the United States until October 1, 1937, when Congress passed the "Marijuana Tax Act".  Total debate time on the House of Representatives floor concerning this issue: 90 seconds.  This act did not actually ban the substance - it simply said that one could not sell marijuana without a license.  Of course, Congress refused to issue any licenses.  Congress finally banned marijuana outright in 1970. 

Hug somebody today!

Virtually yours, 

~ K 


No comments:

Post a Comment